Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Waarom?

We are going to the Netherlands! We are going to the Netherlands??!


You might be wondering why we are going to the Netherlands. Well here is some insight into the posh world of a college professor: Before tenure, professors get a one semester paid sabbatical to do research or what have you. After tenure you receive this same sabbatical every 7 years or so. You can use it pretty much any way you want but it is a good idea to actually do research.

 Anywho this 6 months will be Kurt's pre-tenure sabbatical. He studies DNA folding and the physics of how it packs into our cells (apparently this is very important). When we started talking about this upcoming sabbatical, Kurt explained to me that he wanted to use it to expand his research methods and pool of collaborators. He asked me if it would be ok if he looked for collaborators in a different country seeing as the logistics might be a bit tricky with two young children and all. I, of course, said 'yes!'- I have always wanted to live abroad but, as you may remember from my first post, I am really a coward when it comes to interacting with the wider world. Neither Kurt nor I studied abroad in college. How could we pass up this opportunity to be glamorous expats? We couldn't and thus Kurt's search began.

 I was hoping he would find someone to work with in the UK. I am a huge Anglophile (plus I would not have to learn a different language and thus avoid confronting my monolingual state). Alas there was really no one he was interested in working with. He found groups in the Netherlands and Singapore that worked in his particular field. The coward in me sputtered "Netherlands, Netherlands!" when he reported back. Singapore seemed too foreign a prospect for this interested but reluctant world traveler. I figure that we should start with a western country to warm my skills at living abroad before we jump into a place where I could really get in trouble for my ignorance.

  Kurt cold-emailed Professor Jon Van Noort at Leiden University in Leiden, Netherlands.  He had been to Leiden in 2005 for a conference and got to see some of the university. To our delight Professor Van Noort responded with enthusiasm and agreed to let Kurt work in his lab and study his technique. He even suggested that we stay 6 months rather than just a semester to give time for Kurt to get some real work done. Kurt and Professor Van Noort met up at the last Biophysical Society meeting in February to work out the particulars. Kurt is going to help him with some ion pulling experiments (for more information on this- talk to Kurt. My grasp of physics is pretty limp). Anywho I am sure it will be very exciting for him.

  So that is why we are going to the Netherlands (!)

1 comment:

  1. So excited to be able to read about your adventures and musings here. How do I follow the blog? Is there some button I can press so I am alerted when you put up a new blog post?! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete